The main innovations regarding the PS5 controller are the haptic feedback and the adaptive triggers in F1 22. Learn more about some of the PS5 features below.
Through utilizing the PS5 DualSense controller’s haptics, the feeling of both collisions and surfaces has been greatly enhanced. It gives the ability to communicate individual chunks of surface debris and creates a far more immersive experience to represent the car on a particular part of the track. Most notably, the sensation can be localized to the left or right. A great example of this is when just the left wheels of the player’s car are driven aggressively over a kerb, the feedback is felt exclusively through the left side of the controller, adding to the realism.
DualSense controller speaker
Taking advantage of the PS5 DualSense controller speaker, the player can hear their race engineer talk them through a session, feeding vital information and track data on their way to pole position or that all-important podium. Hear important HUD information via the controller speaker, leaving your main audio mix clean and free of distraction, the way a race should be heard.
For PS5, the adaptive triggers are utilised by attaching the amount of resistance directly to slip ratios of the tyres. What this means is when your car ‘locks up’ under braking, the amount of resistance through the brake trigger increases, resulting in a more immersive connection with the car. Likewise, when wheelspin occurs the resistance of the accelerator trigger is increased. A subtle difference to the resting resistance of the accelerator and brake triggers has also been applied to simulate the difference in pressure needed to fully depress the brake vs accelerator pedals in a real-life F1 car.
See you out on track!
F1 22 releases worldwide on July 1 for PlayStation 5. Players can pre-order the digital-only F1 22 Champions Edition for three days of early access and additional content:
- New My Team Icons – Jacques Villeneuve, Mark Webber, and Nico Hülkenberg
- X2 Drivable Safety Cars – the Mercedes-AMG GT Black Series and Aston Martin Vantage for use in Time Trial
- 18,000 PitCoin
- Dual Entitlement upgrade, upgrade your copy to PlayStation 5 at no additional cost.
- F1 Life Starter Pack: Make your space your own with in-game items such as furniture including wall art, and a player t-shirt.
- F1 22 New Era Content: Car livery, Suit, Helmet, Cap, T-shirt (for F1 Life) inspired by the stunning Official Formula 1 2022 New Era car.